Check out another Changing the Story Gala Honoree, Chiquita Watt-Eugene from the African American Youth Harvest Foundation https://aayhf.org/ in Austin, Texas earlier this month!
Dr. Chiquita Watt Eugene is currently the Citywide Manager for Youth & Family Services/Initiatives with the City of Austin where she administers programs like Summer Youth Employment, Youth Career Fest, and AmeriCorps VISTA. Dr. Eugene got her start at University of Southern California where she received her Bachelors of Science and continued on to receive her Master of Arts at California State University, Dominguez Hills. However, her education did not stop there. She went on to obtain her Ph.D. from the University of Southern California. Her professional career started with her passion for education, serving in 2 school districts, Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) & Austin Independent School District, in the roles of Teacher, School Coordinator, Mentor Teacher Coordinator, Assistant Principal, Principal & District Administrator. During her time with LAUSD, she received the State of California Scholar Award. Soon after, Dr. Eugene became the Assistant Superintendent for Texas Charter School, and from there she moved on to the Capital City African American Chamber of Commerce in the role of President/CEO!
These are not her only professional accomplishments, she was also the owner of Embrace Learning Service, Inc., who provided information & support assistance to women entrepreneurs, and CWE Consulting!, which provided training for emerging leaders in the area of effective leadership skills, team building, and ethics. Dr. Eugene was also an Adjunct Professor for master level courses at California State University, Dominguez Hills, and Concordia University here in beautiful Austin, Texas. Over her career, Dr. Eugene has been a member of numerous boards and received awards:
- Urban Leadership Advisor (accompanied high school students to South Africa), 2002
- Eastside Story Liaison, 2001-02
- Board Member, Capital City African American Chamber of Commerce, 2005-06
- UT @ Austin Elementary Charter School, 2007 – present
- Town Lake Chapter, Links, Inc. Executive Board, 2005 – 2013
- African American Resource Advisory Commission Board, 2005 – present
- State of California Scholar Award, 1989
- Selected to be a Member of Texas Leadership 2011
- Volunteer of the Year Award, Relay for Life, American Cancer Society, 2004-06
- Recipient of the Connie Yerwood Conner African American Woman of Prominence, Profiles of Prominence Award, 2012
She is Married to Darrick W. Eugene and mother to two beautiful children; Felix, 11 years old and Athena, 9 years old.